Saturday, July 25, 2009

Redeeming

Another usual morning, chock full of acronyms. MM, TPIR, and FMW. I like it! I did some errands around the house in the afternoon, mail and e-mail related things. I entered WMGK's 3rd annual comedy competition. That required me to just send in a joke, so hopefully he'll like it. It would be cool just to get on the air. I remember listening to it a few years ago (well, I guess no more than two...) and wishing I were above 18 so I could enter. Now I can, so I hope I've made the most of it.

In the afternoon I did a lot of writing. I wrote about four minutes of new material. Not entirely new concepts, but new full jokes. I felt good about them, I was looking to redeem myself from last night's poor performance. They just felt good, I was flowing through them. I had high hopes for their hilarity level.

Also, throughout the past couple days, I've been toying with the idea of bringing stand-up to school. There was apparently a stand-up club in the early 00's, but it died out. With the improv comedy group doing well and large crowds for comics that come in, I think there would be interest in a stand-up club. I'm not imagining anything too fancy. Maybe just get together once a week to do some new material and critique, then put on a show once a semester. We could even bring in an outsider to headline. Princeton people, make sure I do this. Then come to my shows. A percentage of all proceeds go to charity. What? Zero is a percent? (Simpsons reference). But seriously, I'd like to make this happen. With all of the comedy-themed writing and performing on campus, I'm sure I could find people.

Anyway, I left around 7:45 for my performance. I found a pretty sweet parking spot. When I got there at about 8:25 for an 8:40 show there a few other comedians there. They were both about my age, one was in school, I don't know about the other. We shared stories as the newest comedians. It was interesting. I ended up going first. Well, after the host, but that's expected. I thought it went really well. Much better than last night. A lot of the new jokes worked to some degree, they're mostly all keepers. That's a good feeling, much better than when they all bombed last night. I got a nice boost of confidence. Not that I was totally bummed, but it was nice to bounce back so quickly from last night's debacle. I'm happy about that, I like this stuff too. The rest of the show was hit or miss, as always. I see more of the same faces. It's interesting. Go comedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment