Thursday, July 16, 2009

Amusing

My mornings are always the same. The only difference is whether my 12:30 meal is breakfast style or lunch style. Again with the Majora's Mask and TPIR. Then a sandwich for lunch. In the afternoon I chatted a tad with my bro. Dinner was sauteed pepper, onion, and chicken using the soy sauce packets that came with the take-out. And they wanted to throw it away. Hah!

In the afternoon I wrote some new material, mostly college related. From a purely strategic standpoint, few to none of the other comedians are currently in college, so I have ripe material that will not be similar to their things. Having different subject matter automatically sets me apart, which is nice. I ran some college things past the bro since he is of the college ilk as well. Then I practiced in the mirror a few times and headed out.

This gig was at the Comedy Spot which is in a mall. Seems like a strange place for a comedy club. There was a lot of traffic, so I was nervous that I would be late and miss my chance to sign up. Although called for 7:30, when I arrived at 7:28 there were plenty of slots left and few audience members. Though the few audience members thing stayed mostly the same. I am learning that most things run on comedy time, which means starting 15-30 minutes after the posted time. So, though I'll try to be at things early/on-time, being a tad late is not an issue.

My set went well. For mostly new material, a lot of it worked. I know college, so writing about it is easy. It was also nice that three of the civilian audience members were college students. The other comedians had their hits and misses. I've really learned to pretend like every room is full. Not only are comedians who essentially write the night off not as funny, they are wasting their time since they do not get a good read on their jokes. I'm not going to scrap anything, but if a joke makes 15 people laugh it should work on more.

On the way out I saw the same three college kids heading to their car. I chatted with them for 30 seconds, and they all agreed that I was the funniest (by no prompting of my own)! Woo! But really, they did not have to say that, so hopefully they were telling the truth. And if not, I'll pretend they did! But that, for whatever it's worth, felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment