Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hosting

Today was a jam-packed day. I even had a PB+J sandwich, so the joke I was about to make about how there was no jelly involved was in fact nullified. Drat. The morning had a lot of things going on. I was waiting for the Dell repair man, playing the Snowhead Temple in MM, and waiting for the arrival of my mom and uncle. The Dell person called at 10, was here 20 minutes later, and fixed my keyboard in 5 minutes. Apparently it is much easier to do with the right screwdriver. I beat the temple in MM and was working on the post-quests when my mom/uncle arrived.

After a brief tour of the house we walked to the Natural History Museum. Can you believe that built a whole museum just like the one in that movie? It looked so similar! It was entertaining enough. There were fossil and bugs and the Hope Diamond and the like. We spent about 2/2.5 there and then walked back to Union Station where everyone grabbed something from the food court for dinner. I had a gyro, which never fails to disappoint. Mmm.

So tonight I was performing at the 11th Street Lounge in Arlington. All of my shows are in Arlington/Clarendon/Virginia. Apparently semi-urban VA is the cool place for comedy? So I was told that roll call was at 7:30, be there by 8 to lose my spot. Of course, as I hustled to get there at 7:45, there were only five comedians there. So as we sat at the bar and waited I chatted a bit. I knew most of them from something or the other. Of the 12 or so who went tonight, I probably knew 8. It's nice to see the same faces, but the jokes get less funny as you hear them repeatedly.

Although I warned them, my mom and uncle came to the show. The audience was the comedians, them, and maybe two or three other people. And there was no microphone. And it was in a basement. So...yeah. I went towards the end which was a bit of a bummer, since at the end the crowd is tired and the comics who went earlier had already left. So when I went, the crowd previously at a max of 20 was down to 10. I didn't do very well, I messed up some of my deliveries. Just not the best night for me. But I did talk to people again, got more of a sense of what the scene is like. So otherwise it went well.

So side note: The ads reflect what I write. So there are apparently ads for breaded eggplant cutlets and crock pot recipes. And teeth whiteners? So let me try this. Bears. Polar Bears, Brown Bears, all bears. I want to learn about bears. Ads, let's see how smart you really are!

No comments:

Post a Comment