Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Leaving

I awoke this morning in my newwwww bed to the sound of my alarm? Apparently I had turned it on in the hustle and bustle of moving. So plans to go back to sleep were foiled. I came downstairs surprised to find Pat not at work. He took a vacation day that he had accrued. In the morning we just hung out, knock-off FMWs and TPIR, then MM since he was playing Starfox in the morning. In the afternoon we hung out more, watching crappy TV. Pat napped on the couch as I did some writing and working. I rehearsed a bit and played some piano. After dinner and other preparations I headed out.

For some reason I still get to this gig early. It's called for 8:30 but started at 9:15 today. I got there at about 8:20, and of course ended up waiting for this to start. I ran into the guy who had discussed with me acting in a short, and seeing him again reminded me to e-mail him. I have no idea where this will lead, but I may as well give it a shot. I talked to another guy about comedy at college, which was moderately helpful.

The show itself was weird. There was some audience, which I guess was nice, but they laughed at strange things. There were some new comedians, but some of them just did tired jokes. Also, I really don't think offensive jokes are funny. Unless they are hilarious. Let me explain - an offensive joke must be terribly clever. If I see where it is going, or the punchline is obvious, if it's a decent joke it loses points for offensiveness. I don't know why people laugh at them. Maybe they think it's funny, or maybe it's just awkward laughter. I feel like most if not all of my jokes are not offensive. I feel like the longer I keep it that way the higher my quality-ceiling stays. I hope my writing always gets creative points, regardless of its inherent humor.

My set was unremarkable. I swear I got less than 5 minutes, and I forgot a joke, I did a new joke or two, and some others I'd tried once or twice. Not bad, it was just so short and so strange that I didn't gather much information. I really wish I could get more time. It's so hard with 5 minutes. The title of the post comes from this being the first show I left before it was over. I grew tired of listening to a comedian take more than 10 minutes to do three minutes, doing "crowd work" with a guy up front who was certainly not enjoying it. This is the same comedian who discussed my career plans with me last week, my mom's favorite. Oh well. I came home and hung out, now to bed in my nice, large bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment