Thursday, July 23, 2009

Go-Getting

Today was the last day of touristing with my mom and uncle. After I awoke I hung out. I decided to forgo their morning of museum viewing to lounge at home. I have had my fill of museums for the time being. So whilst they toured I hung out here and watched TPIR and wrote some new jokes for tonight. They came back around 2 with some snacks from the American Indian Museum, which I had heard was delicious, and thus confirmed. Then we headed to the zoo.

The zoo was fine. We were there towards the end of the day so it was not particularly crowded, nor was it particularly hot. We saw all of the usual animals, including the pandas, who were just sitting there. They were not too active. After a full day of zooing we headed to Bistrot Du Coin, a well-reviewed French restaurant. It was pretty tasty. But it was in Dupont Circle, which meant it was full of 28 year old hip young go-getters who wear gray slacks and a blue shirt with subtle pink stripes. Or yellow shirts. Or other funky shirts that are their attempt to express themselves. I don't want to wear fancy clothes to work. But dinner was pretty delicious, so if you're ever in Dupont Circle, check it out.

The family dropped me off at my gig and headed out. I walked in and found the contact guy and signed up. Then I wandered to a nearby square (well, triangle) where I wrote and rehearsed. Then when it was getting darker and closer to 9 I headed back to the Madhatter. The guy had to tell everyone that I was under 21 but it was OK. This confused me, since it was a bar/restaurant (I think?), and I saw the bartenders checking IDs. Maybe I just don't understand how these things work.

The good thing about tonight was that there was a crowd of non-comedians. The bad thing was that they were the same young go-getters, who were moderately/barely interested in comedy so long as they were able to enjoy their coronas and group bar shots with grape liquor, vodka, sprite, and other things. I'm sort of making that up, but I heard one description that was pretty close. Still though, this was the closest crowd to I guess what would be my target audience. So it was a decent crowd. One other note - this place was ridiculously loud. Before the comedy there was music going, and with that and the large number of people in a small room, I don't know how anyone was able to hear anything. Even when the comedy started, it was still pretty loud. I felt almost as if I were talking over people.

The show was capped at 10 comedians, which was nice. It started around 9:20, and as time went on, I awaited my turn. Then the host said "Please welcome our last comedian, straight from Sierra Leone..." and I was like, ok, I don't get to go? And then he said my name. And as I got up another person grabbed the mic. The host mixed us up somehow. So I waited one more and ended up going last. I think my set went pretty well. It was pretty much all new jokes, so as long as some worked, that's all I could ask. The crowd was a tad drunk, and I was interrupted once by applause at a walk-off win by the Astros. So not the ideal situation, but I am still pleased. With these three shows I definitely have a bunch more information about what jokes I should keep in my arsenal. At the end there was a vote for favorite comedian for a prize, which I did not win or place. The winner I think is the guy who organizes the show I'm doing this Friday. So he's a guy who has been at this for a while. I took a cab home because I'm lazy and mom was treating, so that was nice. Woo comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment