Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Screening

I woke up fairly late today, hung out and watched TPIR and Wimbledon. I continued to hang out well into the afternoon, until I left for the train to the city. I missed the 4:37, which I wanted to take, but luckily there was a 4:45, so that was all good. After my class I just barely caught the 8:35 home, but I did it! Hooray!

So my final class was interesting. There were about a dozen of us there and we watched all of our performances. I liked watching myself, but agree with some comments that my timing w.r.t the audience was a bit off. I was definitely rushing to avoid being kicked off before I finished my jokes. But otherwise, I was pleased. He then talked for a bit about the "business" side. Most of it was not particularly useful at this moment in time, as I am not aiming to make it my business. The information about agents and managers seemed superfluous. But the information about different types of shows, how to get spots, how to make a name for yourself, how to utilize open-mics, that was all good information. And his main message was that, so long as one condition is met, you will make this your living. The condition? Be "undeniably good." OK, now I have a clear goal to work towards...

I think also significant is that this final class means that I am on my own for the rest of the summer. From tomorrow through about August 22 (when our sub-lease expires) I will most likely be only in DC, answering only to myself. That is 50ish days/7ish weeks of just doing my own thing. I think the first thing I need to do is find some semblance of a routine. No more of this "OK, I'll start work at 1:00" business, which often results in work starting at 3:00. I think it will help me be productive comedically as well as non comedically. If I'm not working on my stuff, I may as well be playing piano, starting a band arrangement, or even venturing into the city. But this is the most freedom I've ever had, and I'm interested to see what I make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment