Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Performing

Well, my first performance. But I'll leave you in suspense while I describe my other activities. Slept in a bit more. Maybe I'm getting used to this new bed? I was never a believer in that theory, but it may be true. Played some Zelda, watched some Price is Right. I like this morning routine. After lunch Sam and I went to do some errands. I maintain that this is the least car-friendly city I've driven in, putting it tops on a list of one. Still though, not a fan. But I think it still beats taking the metro. I spent the afternoon working on my act a bit more and also rehearsing for tonight. Dinner was pasta with a homemade tomato/onion/garlic/pepper/spinach sauce. With leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Now what you've been waiting for...

I got there just in time to check in. It was about a 1/2 hour there, including one or two minor wrong turns. I had the chance to chat with some of the other comedians. Some were new, some had been at it for a while. Everyone seemed friendly, wishing good shows for everyone. And I think that's part niceness and part selfishness. If the audience starts laughing, they will keep laughing. So I anxiously watched the other comedians. I was somewhere towards the end, so I tried to listen and not over-rehearse in my head. Again a range of comedians in terms of quality, but a lot of funny material.

My 3 minutes went by faster than I would have thought. I managed the mic pretty well, not really letting it get in my way. The lights were much brighter than I expected. I wonder if I'd felt out the stage a little bit (all 6 square feet of it) I could have found the least blinding spot. But I didn't have time, and time is funny, so I just went. And I think it went well. The audience was consistently laughing. When I messed up a punchline, I made fun of it and people laughed. I remembered all of my lines, my timing was solid, and people enjoyed it. Here are what some people are saying about my performance:

"One of the best amateur comedians." - Sam Gallicchio
"You had the timing down." - Guy who shook my hand.
"Nice job." - Some other guy.

So, all around positive reviews. Let me take this time to mention something that I've been saying casually for a bit: making people laugh is the greatest feeling in the world. As the only good assembly person to come to HHS said, there are some natural highs that are the key to life. And for me, this is probably it. The greatest feeling in the world. So it looks like I've chosen a good hobby/talent/profession. It feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Simon,

    I'm loving the blog, and I'm glad to see that you're spending all summer trying to be funny. What's the chance that you get footage of any of your gigs?

    -Steve Rubin (yeah, I missed your stand-up at the PGSS talent show because I was at Dave and Andy's, getting ice cream for my girlfriend back home who, of course, took it and ate it without me. Serves me right)

    ReplyDelete