Thursday, June 25, 2009

Driving

I know, an unexciting verb. But I did do a lot of driving today. Headed out from DC at about 11 and arrived in Princeton at 3. Google maps said 3 hours 19 minutes, but every major road decided to have construction, including some stop and go on 95. But otherwise a fine trip. I took the train to NYC for my class. After class I grabbed Chipotle (mmm) and headed for my final stay at the Barnes/Ford residence. Now of course we are watching fake football.

The only comedy I did today was my class. It was a packed house. Class went along as usual. It's weird to hear some of the same stuff every time, but there was some new stuff as well. I did not do as well as I would have liked, I think I read too much. But some new jokes worked and some did not, so I'll keep the good and revert to the old for the not good. We got some information about the show, but it was pretty much what I expected.

I guess the highlight(?) of the class was a pretty lengthy inspirational speech about "The Voice." It's the moniker Steve gave to the negative thoughts in our heads, our inability to think reasonably about our performances. I usually don't believe in these things, but I think he pretty much got it right. What I took away is that it is helpful and necessary to be critical of myself, just not in a negative way. I should not think "that performance was bad." Such general and not insightful comments do not help. Instead I should be thinking about which jokes worked, which got big laughs, how I interacted with the audience. I can say "that joke sucked" and not care, so long as it is helpful. So, a bit of fluff, I know, but worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment