Sunday, June 28, 2009

Debuting

Not much happened today...o wait! I'll get to that in a second. Before that though, other mildly notable things. First, I woke up at 9. After acknowledging that little was on TV, I went back to sleep from 10-12. But since I got out of bed and actively engaged in something else, that qualifies as a nap, not going back to sleep. So yes, I took a nap in the morning. Jealous? Probably. Then I drove up to Princeton and took the train to NYC.

I walked down to the club. But because I am stupid I thought it was between 8th and 9th and not 7th and 8th, so I could not find it. But I got there just after 5, which was fine. We did a mic check quickly, and Steve told us to cut our Michael Jackson jokes. Then I waited around as people came in. Sitting there was probably the worst part. I knew I knew my routine, but I kept going over it. And I was worried about slight changes in timing. In retrospect, I should have realized that my set was fixed, and fussing about 10 seconds was not worth it. But alas, it was not the case.

So I was fifth, which I think was a good place to be. The crowd was warmed up and delightfully buzzed, but not drunk such that they could not parse my language. I remembered everything, and overall it went well. I think everything that was supposed to get a laugh did, and some were pretty significant. And it just felt awesome. The feeling is so good. Making 200 laugh at once - ridiculous. I was pretty happy. Even though my supporters were cheering loudly, I think most people thought I did a good job.

The rest of the comics were good. Alas, I had heard most of them in class, so the fourth time is never as funny. There was one comedian at the end who did some pretty funny Zelda jokes that only a few people laughed at. But they were good. Then a bunch of us went to get Chipotle and then took the train home. Overnight in Princeton, hanging here tomorrow.

To those of you who came out tonight: Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was great to have such support. And to those of you who did not, do not sweat it. I am hopeful and optimistic that I will have plenty of performances in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment