Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finalizing

Today was more productive. I'm sensing an upward trend. In the morning I watched Wimbledon and TPIR. I made eggs for breakfast. I wanted to use up my stuff in the fridge since I won't be in DC for a week. They were good. Dinner was tuna and an egg roll that I appended to someone else's take out order. Now I'm just hanging out before I go to bed, I must be awake for my drive tomorrow.

Before my comedy update, here is the basic arc for the next week or so:
Tomorrow: Travel from DC to Princeton, Princeton to NYC, overnight in NYC.
Friday: Back from NYC, home to Havertown.
Saturday: More Havertown
Sunday: Get somehow from Havertown to NYC for my show, then back to Princeton.
Monday: Hang out in Princeton.
Tuesday: Princeton in the day, to NYC for my last class in the evening, back to Princeton for the night.
Wednesday: Travel back to DC

Anyway...

Today was very productive comically. I put in a good amount of work. In the afternoon, I went through the routines/jokes I thought I might use on Sunday and refined them. I did a lot of scrapping, rewriting, rewording, and new writing. I think yesterday's mullings were a little too extreme. It's OK to think of jokes about a subject. It's not OK to think of jokes as part of a story. The story comes from the jokes, not the other way around. To have a story there needs to be some basic connection, but I cannot just tell a story and call each line a joke. The jokes need to have, at least abstractly, the setup-punchline format. My grand revelation is what people have known for years. And I haven't been at this very long, so these thoughts may be nonsense. But at least I'm figuring things out? Maybe.

In the evening I picked what I'm doing for Sunday and rehearsed it a bit. I'm pretty happy with what I picked. It's hard to tell what my best material is since I've only performed a tiny bit. But I think this is good stuff, things that will to some degree stay in my rep. The time fluctuates as my ad-libbing does, but it's right in the 4-5 minute range that it's supposed to be. So that's good. I'll rehearse maybe on the drive tomorrow, on the train, and I still have the weekend. So I'll be good. I think it will be a good set.

No comments:

Post a Comment