Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sweating

Hmmm. I can't really recall much of what happened during the day. Most of it was uneventful, that's for sure. We did watch of lot of the Little League World Series (well, the regional finals. Not technically the LLWS, but still good). It's always amusing, though it makes me nostalgic for my playing days. Le sigh. I think I also fell asleep at some point. The nap was nice.

In the late afternoon I rehearsed my act a bit, but I had done these jokes all week, so I knew them pretty well. Then I headed out. My Dad came down for weekend, so we had dinner out near the show at a decent Italian restaurant. Then we went to the show. The crowd looked decent to start out with. Then we noticed that the AC was not on. And it started getting hotter. And hotter. And hotter. It was really hot.

I think this worked against me, as after about five comedians, everyone was too hot to laugh. Lucky for me, I was about number ten. And the crowd was not really my demographic, few college-aged people. So, the jokes that had worked well the previous nights did not go over as well. Not terribly, but just not great. A very luke-warm reception. Just not my night, for many reasons. Oh well. After all the comedians went and the show was going on two hours (about 1/2 hour too long, I think), the top three vote getters were finally announced, and I was not among them. I don't know if I was one of the three funniest, but I don't think the top three funniest won. I noticed that two of the people went pretty early, before the heat set in. Really, it was hot. I hate blaming my not superior performance on the situations, but things were working against me. No one got huge laughs tonight, it was just not a mood for laughter. Oh well.

One more week, hopefully I'll be out every night during the week. After I post I'm going to the freezer. I hope the freezer pops are frozen...

No comments:

Post a Comment