Thursday, August 6, 2009

Aspiring

I keep waking up too early. But that was fine, since I spend most of the morning beating Majora's Mask! Hooray. I admit, I got a bit antsy towards the end and cheated a little, but who's counting? Some of the masks require far too intimate a knowledge of the world in which it takes place. The ending was a tad anticlimactic though, as Link just kinda peaced out. Hmm. Then TPIR and FMW. In the afternoon I sent welcoming e-mails to me 'zees. I tried to personalize them, or at least not have them say exactly the same thing, though the information was mostly the same.

I decided to watch the movie Comedian which my dad had given me. It's the parallel stories of two comedians writing new material. One is an up and coming NYC comedian, the other is Jerry Seinfeld. Seinfeld ditched all his old stuff and set out to write entirely new material for an hour special. The movie was interesting, but it really clarified how hard it really is to write good material. Seinfeld, a man who knows his funny, needed at least six months to write an hour of material. And remember, during these six months he could walk into any comedy club anywhere and do as much material as he wanted. They would show him driving from club to club on a Saturday night in New York doing different sets. That is a luxury few have. So with the best of circumstances, it took him six months. What does that mean for me, five years for an hour? Something along those lines. It's utterly absurd.

For dinner I made my first solo attempt at meatloaf, and man was it delicious. I'm a big fan, perhaps even a bigger fan of the follow-up meatloaf sandwiches. Then we hung out and watched The Core, perhaps one of the more ridiculous movies I've seen.

Not a busy comedy day, but I think the movie was important. I could tell that Seinfeld loved writing and telling jokes. He has to, because if he wanted to he could do no more comedy and sleep on shredded piles of hundred dollar bills. I need to be as motivated as he is, and hopefully I am getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment