Friday, August 7, 2009

Producing

I again woke up too early. Grumble. With no Zelda to play, I don't know how I will spend my mornings. I really wish I could spend them sleeping. Perhaps tomorrow I will make more of an effort to go back to sleep. I know, my life is challenging. So I putzed around, then TPIR and FMW. In the afternoon I was really productive. Woo.

I started by writing some new jokes. I was happy with the way they came out. They were not just me saying "oh, this is funny." I actually wrote jokes. With punchlines to some extent. And a hint of story. Then I took a break to play piano. I finished with a moderate degree of competency the first Piano for Adults book. I don't have the second, so I'll just look through the easy song books I have. Then I wrote a little more a put together my set for tonight. It was a lot of new stuff, including the things I wrote today, and some stuff I'd only done once or twice before. After dinner/PTI/shower etc, I headed out.

There were a ton of comedians there tonight. More than twenty, which is a huge number. It started late, as always, but people were there at 7:30, it definitely could have stared one time. But everyone I had met pretty much was there. One comic complimented the set I had done on Monday, which was nice. Woo compliments. Then the show started, and I waited. And waited. And waited. Comedy is much longer when you're waiting to go up but don't know when it will be. And though I understand that I'm usually last because I'm the new guy, it's still annoying to wait around, but that's how it goes. So eventually I went around 9:55. The room, which was once 20 comics and maybe 10-15 audience members, was down to maybe 5 comics and 7-8 audience members. Still though, I was pleased. I made them laugh more than any of the few people before or after me. Even the new material did well, which is encouraging.

I feel like the pseduo-climax of my summer will be a contest at EJs Landing (the boat restaurant) that I'm in next Saturday. I think the comedians are just based on whoever signs up, but a contest is a contest. So between now and then I'll need to figure out my best six minutes. I have I think only two shows, so this weekend I'll probably put together what I want the set to be, do it twice, and then perform in the big contest. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment