Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reversing

So you know how yesterday was full of grumbling? Today was the opposite. Nice. In the morning I decided to call AAA since I may as well take advantage of my membership. The guy was going to jump it but then tested the battery which was apparently on the verge of dying, so he gave me a new one. He also offered to help me make extra money by burning CDs and DVDs for him. I smiled and nodded, and he forgot to give me his number, so I do not think I have found another business venture.

The day itself was uneventful. Did some errands, wrote some e-mails, watched/slept through a USA soccer loss. After dinner and such, I headed out for my gig, take two. This time the car started and everything! What a luxury.

I arrived around 8:30 and there were only three comedians on the list, non of whom I recognized. That meant our favorite ridiculous, bizarre comic had to host, even though he had to "do radio" in forty minutes. That poor, poor radio station. So, as the host he did about twenty minutes, which isn't that ridiculous with only three comedians. What was ridiculous was how he picked on a woman in the front row and made jokes about how she was in the army (she was) and had PTSD. Really, you're going to joke about that? Really? So after yelling at them to be quiet and escalating his yells to swearing and legitimate anger, he told them he'd pay for their dinner if they'd shut up and leave. So they did. Thanks for losing some of my audience, host!

Anyway, he left to do radio. The other two comedians were decent. I went second and I think did really well. I had pretty much as much time as I wanted, so I tested out maybe 10-12 minutes of material that I'll chop down to 6-7 for tomorrow and Saturday. The crowd, once they got over the original onslaught, was fairly favorable. So I think they gave good information as to what works. I felt really at ease tonight, maybe it's because I knew that no matter how bad I looked, I would be remembered more favorably than others. So woo. I was asked to close the show, which means to get up and say thanks for coming. I think I did a pretty good job.

After the show I talked to one of the comedians who had his first performance tonight. I gave him some advice about shows to do and websites to visit. I'm glad I can pay it forward as others did for me. I also felt super important and established, but hey, I'll pat myself on the back. So a much better day. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment