Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Opening

Another standard day. I woke up far too early, yet still managed not to be productive until around noon. MM and FMW and TPIR yet again. I did some laundry and was surprised by the effectiveness of hanging clothes out to dry. Still though, with four guys living in this house normally throughout the year, I feel like a decent dryer would be a sound investment. In un-comedy related news I was sent my list of advisees today, so I checked them out a little and will send them e-mails tomorrow.

I wanted to write some new material today, and did, but not as much as I would have wanted. Oh well, I still wrote some new stuff. I also think I had a dream that I wrote a joke about the term zesting, and how maybe it would seem like a more manly thing to do if it were called skinning a lemon. But then I decided that was strange, though I am glad that I am dreaming in joke form. My other joke dream has not been terribly successful though, so maybe I should scrap this one. After dinner and things I headed out for my usual Tuesday gig.

As the summer has gone on my arrival time has gotten later and later. I arrived at 8:35 for the 8:30 show and there were five or six other comedians there. I opened the show, which means I went first after the host. That was in no way a strategic decision, but it was nice to go first. I got to get the crowd into it. I did OK, nothing special. I did do a fair amount of new material, and more than none of it worked, so that's a plus. The crowd tonight though was not really my target audience. I know this for sure because they laughed at the not funny comedian at this place that I have described before. So if he is funny to them, I doubt I will be.

I've started to become less of a fan of self-depreciating humor. There are only so many times I can laugh at how their career is stagnant as they perform in a dominoes knock off. Or how they curse their life for doing this as their hobby. The audience usually laughs because it's so ridiculous, but they are cheap laughs. People should just do their material, and if it's actually good it will get some form of laughter. Just my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment